A Ward Leadership Lesson
STERLING PARK WARD
ASHBURN, VA STAKE
18 November 2005
[Note to readers: This is the text version of the powerpoint briefing. Thus the narrative and transitions
in this version are a little jerky. Please bear with me.]
The following lesson is an expanded version of a lesson given by the Stake President at the recent Bishop's retreat. Please get out your scriptures and marking pencils. In a few minutes I will pass out copies of these slides upon which you can take some notes.
Moses was preparing the people to see God, as he had seen God -- in short, he wanted to create a Zion society.
II. MOSES ON SINAI
- Exodus 19:3-6 -- Lord's offer
- Exodus 19:7-8 -- people's acceptance
- Exodus 19:10-11 -- Lord to meet people
- Exodus 19:16-17 -- people come
- Exodus 19:21 -- something not right
The people needed more preparation.
- Exodus chapters 20, 21, 22, 23 -- Lord gives preparatory laws to sanctify the people so they will be ready to receive the fullness of the Gospel
- Exodus 24:4-8 -- People accept all the preparatory laws and Moses sprinkles them with blood as a token of the covenant
- Exodus 24:9-12 -- Leaders go up to receive the fullness of the gospel of Christ, to be recorded on stone tablets
In the meantime.
- Exodus chapters 25-31 -- While Moses is receiving the fullness of the Gospel, Aaron builds the physical tabernacle and creates the human governing organization (Priesthood)
- Exodus 24:18 & 31:18 -- Takes forty days to get the fullness of the Gospel on to the tablets
- Exodus 32:1 -- The people just could not wait
- Exodus 32:9-10 -- The Lord wants to do the "Noah thing" and kill all the people and start over with Moses and his family
- Exodus 32:13-14 -- Moses wants to give the people another chance, for Abraham's sake
- Exodus 32:19 -- Party was worse than Moses imagined and so broke the plates containing the fullness of the gospel
- Exodus 32:26-28 -- Levites killed all who would not repent (a partial "Noah thing")
- Exodus 32:31-32 -- Moses offered himself as a ransom for his people
Getting serious -- (JST) Exodus 34:1-2
(pass out handouts)
- New tablets contain the preparatory law ("law as at first") which we have come to know as the Law of Moses
- Moses failed in his quest to bring his people into the presence of the Lord
- Because of their unfaithfulness, the people gave up their chance to be Zion society for 1500 years
III. ENOCH AND THE CITY OF ZION
Moses had seen Enoch's success in a vision, which example Moses followed unsuccessfully
- Moses 7:4 -- Enoch sees Lord's face
- Moses 7:10-12 -- Enoch preaches the gospel
- Moses 7:16 -- Lord dwells with people
- Moses 7:18 -- No poor among them
- Moses 7:19,21 -- City built and taken
IV. ALMA AND THE PRE-CHRIST CHURCH
- Mosiah 18:3 -- Alma preached gospel
- Mosiah 18:16-17 -- People baptized and church formed
- Mosiah 18:27-29 -- No poor among them
V. PETER AND THE EASTERN CHURCH
(Example of Annanias and Sophronia)
- Acts 2:41-42 -- Baptism and obedience
- Acts 2:44-45 -- All things in common
- Acts 4:31-35 -- One heart, one mind, one accounting
VI. NEPHI AND THE WESTERN CHURCH
- 3 Ne 26:17 -- Teach and baptize
- 3 Ne 26:19 -- All things in common
- 3 Ne 26:20-21 -- Obedient, church
VII. JOSEPH AND THE RESTORED CHURCH
- DC 51:3 -- (Ohio) Appoint portions to wants and needs
- DC 78:3-6 -- (Ohio) Equal in heavenly and earthly things
- DC 82:14-20 -- (Jackson County/Zion) Equal claim on property
- DC 101:1-7 -- Wickedness among Saints
- DC 105:1-6 -- Zion's Camp fails because people not united in Celestial law
- DC 105:9 -- Like Moses' people had to live a lesser law, Joseph's people have to live a lesser law
- Every time a prophet tries to establish the church, he implements the "all things in common" social order
- So when will we once again have all things in common?
- Will we be ready?
- (Jacob 5:62-66 -- Not everyone gathered at once)
IX. PRIVATE EXERCISE
- What do I need to change in my life to be ready to have all things in common?
- What does my family need to change to be ready to have all things in common?
X. PUBLIC EXERCISE
- How do we help those in our respective organizations become ready to have all things in common?
- Each organization to report one thing
- Each organization is to have a leadership meeting where you
- Teach this same lesson
- Do the same exercises
In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
[Return to List of Talks]