On The Atonement - Matrix
(Back to My Mormon / LDS Talks and Lessons)
Lays out in table format the components of the two (major) parts of Christ's Atonement. Originally created in 1997. Revised in 1998. Most recently updated on 23 November 2012.
Word cloud created at Wordle.net.
The Atonement: Matrix
A Table Prepared for Inclusion in Lessons on the Atonement
in the Sterling Park Ward
of the Ashburn, VA Stake
By D. Calvin Andrus
23 November 2012, Version 3.0
This talk is released under the Creative Commons 3.0 license.
You are free:
- to Share — to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work (pages from this wiki)
- to Remix — to adapt or make derivative works
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution — You must attribute this work to me by name (Calvin Andrus), by page title, by source (wiki.acadac.net), by date, and by version number (if available). You may not suggest that I, in any way, endorse your or your use of this work.
- Noncommercial — You may not use this work for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
- Waiver — Any of the above conditions can be waived if you get permission from the copyright holder.
- Public Domain — Where the work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- Other Rights — In no way are any of the following rights affected by the license:
- Your fair dealing or fair use rights, or other applicable copyright exceptions and limitations;
- The author's moral rights;
- Rights other persons may have either in the work itself or in how the work is used, such as publicity or privacy rights.
- Notice — For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work.The best way to do this is with a link to the following web page.
|THE TWO PARTS OF THE ATONEMENT|
|Problem||Physical Death: Separation of Body from Spirit -- Ecclesiastes 12:7||Spiritual Death: Separation of us from Father in Heaven -- 2 Ne 9:12, Isaiah 59:2,1 Nephi 10:21|
|Cause||Adam and Eve's Transgression (bodies changed from immortal Terrestial to mortal Telestial) -- 2 Ne 9:6, Helaman 14:16||Adam and Eve's Transgression (expelled from Garden of Eden) -- 2 Ne 9:6, Helaman 14:16|
|When Experienced||Temporarily while in the Spirit World -- Alma 40:11-13||Temporarily while on the Earth; Permanently for all those not going to the Celestial Kingdom -- Alma 40:25-26|
|Solution Enablers||Jesus's Divine/Human Parentage (inherited immortality from Father and mortality from Mother) -- Matthew 16:15-17||Jesus's Sinless Life -- Hebrews 4:15|
|Solution||Using his own will and power to remove His Spirit from His Body and put Them back together again -- John 10:18||Paying the penalty for all sins -- 2 Ne 9:7, 1 Peter 2:24|
|Name||Resurrection -- Alma 11:45||Expiation -- Bible Dictionary, "Sacrifices"|
|Where||On the Cross and in the Tomb||(Mostly) In the Garden of Gethsemene|
|Effect||Blessings of Immortality (Salvation) -- John 5:28–29||Blessings of Eternal Life (Exaltation) -- D&C 14:7|
|Conditions||Unconditional Free Gift to all who kept their First Estate (Chose to follow Christ in the Pre-Mortal Existence) -- 1 Corinthians 15:21-22||Conditional Gift to those who keep their Second Estate (Repented of sins during Earthly Existence) -- Abraham 3:26|
|Covenant||The immersing part of Baptism -- Romans 6:4||The cleansing part of Baptism -- Acts 2:38|
|Renewal||The bread part of the Sacrament (Represents Christ's Body) -- Luke 22:19||The water part of the Sacrament (Represents Christ's Blood) -- Luke 22:20|