Some Favorite Questions
From wiki.acadac.net, the Calvin Andrus wiki
- Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?
- Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?
- If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?
- If Webster wrote the first dictionary, where did he find the words?
- Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
- Why do "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?
- Why do "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?
- Why do "tug" boats push their barges?
- Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?
- Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?
- Why is it called "after dark" when it really is "after light"?
- Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?
- Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?
- Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?
- Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?
- If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay you to do it?
- If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
- Why do you press harder on the buttons of a remote control when you know the batteries are dead?
- Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in a suitcase?
- How come abbreviated is such a long word?
- Why do we wash bath towels? Aren't we clean when we use them?
- Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
- Why do they call it a TV set when you only have one?
- Why do we park in a driveway and drive on the parkway?
(Back to Home)